A public housing facility in North Philadelphia, Norris Apartments has become a welcoming mix of two and three-story walk-up apartments and townhomes arranged around a park center. The 51 unit development replaces a 1950’s era high-rise building with a fresh, modern approach to public housing. The first LEED Gold Certified project for the Philadelphia Housing Authority, these new units include low-flow plumbing, Energy Star appliances and windows, and solar panels.
The Collins, a new mixed-use project of multi-story retail and multi-family housing is significant in the revitalization of the 1100 block of Chestnut Street. Determined that the original Oppenheim Collins building remain, the owners envisioned adaptive re-use of the existing historic building and new construction on this dense urban site. The project encompasses 250,000 SF; three floors of commercial retail and four floors of high-end, market rate apartments. The roof level is dedicated to a large amenity space with outdoor patio and extensive sustainable green roof, affording sweeping views of the city.
A new home for seniors in need of assisted living and memory care services has been designed to provide luxurious common areas throughout including lobby/café, dining rooms and Health Spa. These spaces contain unique amenities such as gas fireplaces, saltwater fish tanks and water walls, along with a special self-serve ice cream and beverage counter. The second floor offers a beauty salon, activities room and group kitchen for cooking class.
BHA transformed a dramatically declined neighborhood into a thriving community. The project is comprised of 357 rental duplexes and row homes and, a 72-unit apartment building for the elderly with a senior services center. In addition, 125 row homes and town homes were created for ownership at a reduced cost. Spacious and open, the new development is fully integrated into the city’s street grid, drawing a diverse population of residents.
Edwards House is a luxury condominium apartment building named in honor of Jonathan P. Edwards, the original owner of the property who won distinction in the early 1900’s as one of the region’s early golf champions. The building houses a total of ten units on three floors over a lower level parking garage. The two and three bedroom units range in size from 1,500 to 2,700 square feet.
St. John Neumann Place II is a 52 unit, one-bedroom senior living apartment facility designed for the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. This is one of the first multi-family housing projects in the city designed to Passive House U.S. Standards.
Exterior materials of red brick and grey fiber cement offer a modern interpretation of the quintessential Philadelphia rowhome. The streamlined design of the apartments provides a compact, efficient, well-organized living space. Warm, commercial grade finishes and large windows flood the units with natural light, creating a comfortable atmosphere for the residents.
Gathering opportunities take place in the wellness center, two exterior courtyards, and the community room which is strategically located at the corner of Mifflin and 27th streets, allowing residents to remain secure while enjoying the neighborhood views.
BHA in association with Urban Design Associates recreated a community at the former Schuylkill Falls. With the removal of all structures, a blank canvas was created to allow for a new vision. The design replicated the scale and fabric of an older community, encouraging strolls on the sidewalks and interaction with neighbors. The project consisted of 254 single and multi-family residences and a 50-unit seniors building with retail/ commercial space.